LASIK : is the acronym for Laser-In Situ Keratomileusis, a type of refractive eye surgery by permanently reshaping the cornea which is the clear covering of the front of the eye, using an excimer laser.
The Excimer laser is micron precise i e 1/1000 mm. If a hair strand is subjected to a Laser shot and then examined under a scanning electron microscope, the adjacent area to the shot will be found unharmed. Hence the safety of the adjacent eye structures.
LASIK is a simple, fast, and highly predictable surgical procedure performed in an appropriate sterile environment with regulated temperature and humidity.
- Round the clock good vision and
- All around vision without the hassles of either spectacles or contact lenses.
LASER treatment is possible in patients above 18 yrs .The power should be stabilized during the previous one year.
- Myopia –1.0 D to –15.0 D
- Hypermetropia up to + 6.0 D
- Whenever there is a significant difference in the power of the two eyes
- Intra ocular lens in one eye and aphakia in the other when intra ocular lens cannot be inserted.
Initially patient is subjected to complete eye checkup for:
- accurate power,
- presence of retinal holes,
- glaucoma and
- dry eyes.
Screening tests such as
- Corneal topography and
- Aberrometry are done to evaluate the suitability of the eye and choice of the procedure.
Three dimensional testing of the entire eyeball gives us information about the corneal curvature on both front and the back side, thickness at multiple points of cornea and presence of high order aberrations. When the latter is present, the choice of procedure is custom ablation rather than regular ablation to give better contrast sensitivity.
LASIK treatment gives a person the following advantages:
- Both eyes are taken up in the same sitting.
- It is a 2 minute procedure.
- Only eye drop anaesthesia. No injection is required.
- LASER treatment is done to the stromal bed after making a corneal flap with a micro keratome [only new blades are used for each patient].
- Multi dimensional tracking system helps detect and correct pupillary shifts. Zyoptix- 100 has a high-speed eye tracker to follow very fine eye movements that the naked eye cannot see.
- Iris recognition to avoid mix up of data and decentration.
- No patching is required.
- Patient can resume duty the next day.
- Dependence on glasses / contact lenses is minimized.
- Better quality of vision.
- Glare is reduced at night by improving the contrast sensitivity.
One of the most advanced laser eye surgery procedures today is IntraLase. This is also known as bladeless LASIK or All -laser LASIK. In traditional LASIK surgery, the micro keratome or the hand-held blade is used to make the flap on the cornea so that the laser can be used beneath the flap. In Intralase, instead of using the micro keratome blade, a femto second laser is used.
- Using this laser, the cut will be more precise as compared to the manual method. Any induced distortion and complications from cutting the flap will be reduced
- Better quality of vision overall, particularly in terms of ability to see well in low light such as at dusk or at night with respect to haloes and glare.
- The biomechanical strength of the flap by Intralase is better in comparison to the flap made with the micro keratome. The person can go for tread mill exercise